9.5.0-P2 and socket: too many open file descriptors

Sam Wilson Sam.Wilson at ed.ac.uk
Mon Aug 18 10:46:49 UTC 2008

One data point that may be relevant in this discussion: We upgraded to
9.4.2-P1 on Solaris 10 and hit the file descriptors problem.  This
surprised us since the load on our servers is not high in global terms.
It turned out that the upgrade had coincided with intermittent
connectivity problems.  Hung connections were using up the file
descriptors during periods when the network was broken.  Once the
network was fixed the number of open files went back to the expected
level.

Sam Wilson                            one of hostmaster at ed.ac.uk
Network Section, IT Infrastructure (formerly Computing Services)
Information Services, The University of Edinburgh
Edinburgh, Scotland, UK