Queries for tjhinc.com

bsfinkel at anl.gov bsfinkel at anl.gov
Fri Aug 15 21:43:45 UTC 2008

>I wrote, in part:
>> Another question arises - if the default max-cache-size is 32M
>> (and titania has 2G of memory), and the cache is supposedly full,
>> then why is the named_dumpdb file I created yesterday only 818340
>> bytes long?

and Mark Andrews replied:

>	named_dumpdb will usually be smaller than the memory used
>	internally.
>
>	If you are going to stay w/ 32M I would used one of these
>	values for DEFAULT_CACHE_NODE_LOCK_COUNT (17 19 23 29 31).

I have not looked at the code to see how the cache is organized in
memory, but I find it hard to believe that a full 32M of cache could
be written to an 818K disk file.   That's a 40-1 compression.
Maybe BIND thinks that the cache is full when it reallly isn't?
Barry S. Finkel
Building 222, Room D209              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov