Recursive queries fail if query source port is not fixed

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Thu Aug 14 06:01:30 UTC 2008

> * Mark Andrews <Mark_Andrews at isc.org> [2008-08-14]:
> >
> > 	Does "dig ns . @198.41.0.4" succeed when run from the box
> > 	running the nameserver?
>
> Yes.
>
> I still don't understand why most recursive queries only works after
> many, many tries - argh. Oh, I just tested doing one query, waiting
> 30 seconds and then trying - success. Hm, maybe there is a time-out
> issue after all?
>
> And "dig porttest.dns-oarc.net txt" never seems to work ;-) Because it
> changes all the time ...
>
> Hans

	I suspect that you are overwhelming some state table in
	one of the firewalls.

	With "port 53" you didn't need to keep state in the firewall
	as you were allowing all packets to port 53 which includes
	reply packets.

	When you remove "port 53" then the firewall needs to keep
	state to allow the reply to come back in.

	When you make the second or third request of the nameserver
	it starts its lookups from deeper in the heirachy which allows
	it to succeed before the firewall is overhelmed.

	Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews at isc.org