Not sure if my DNS is vulnerable?

Chris Buxton cbuxton at menandmice.com
Wed Aug 13 14:12:55 UTC 2008

No, that's pretty much it.

Step 1) Attacker sets up attacking name server, which waits for
contact from a potential victim.

Step 2) Attacker hacks a web page, adding a short (and legitimate-
looking) JavaScript.

Step 3) Innocent web browser in your organization visits the web page,

Step 4) The script tries to load an image from the attacker's domain.
This tells the attacking name server your source port for queries, can
encode the target domain to be spoofed, and triggers the attack.
During the attack, the JavaScript is trying to load images from
successive domains in the same zone as the target domain to be
spoofed, on a schedule. The attacking name server is trying to spoof
each of these nearby names, on the same schedule, by brute-forcing the
transaction ID. (It's only 16 bits long - that's not much of a crypto
key.) The script can load more images from the attacker's domain, thus
informing the attacking name server of its progress and getting status
reports back.

The whole attack is completely automated, is triggered by a trusted
user's web browser, will penetrate firewalls in nearly all cases (but
an IPS may be able to stop it - by disabling inbound responses to your
resolving name server, rendering it useless), and is fast and deadly.

Chris Buxton
Professional Services
Men & Mice