Error with logging channel audit_log

Jeremy C. Reed Jeremy_Reed at isc.org
Tue Aug 12 21:20:38 UTC 2008

On Tue, 12 Aug 2008, Mark A. Moore wrote:

> Thanks for the response given on this. I modified the named.conf file
> line file "/chroot/named/logs/named.log"; to file "/logs/named.log";

>  Now when I restart bind, the error I get now is "logging channel
> 'audit_log' file '/logs/named.log' : permission denied

Make sure that the directory "logs" under your chroot environment is
writable and accessible by the user your named is running as. chown and
chmod may be used for that.

> Sorry but I'm new to BIND.

>  Jeremy - Not sure what you mean about the mkdir -p /chroot/named/logs/
> # before starting named. Can you explain a little more what I need to
> do?

Just to make sure that directory is created first.

So if you are using "-t /chroot/named -u named" then do something like:

cd /chroot/named
mkdir logs
chown named logs
chmod u=rwx,go=rx logs