How to patch Fedora Core 2 Bind RPM?

John Smith n6s7a6 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 12 14:22:34 UTC 2008

On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 10:11 AM, Jeff Lightner <jlightner at water.com> wrote:
> FC2 is really old so I don't know that anyone would have compiled
> anything newer for it.  Certainly not the Fedora main repositories.
> You might want to see if Dag Weirs' site has it.
>
> You'll probably have to download source and compile your own.
>
> I'd recommend planning for installing something a lot newer than FC2 if
> you're really concerned about security.   When I first got here we had
> DNS on RH 7.3 (even older than FC2).   I was able to reload the slave
> server with a newer Linux then do the primary later.
>
> You also probably shouldn't use Fedora for a Production DNS - Fedora is
> bleeding edge so it rolls out new versions and discards old ones on a
> fairly aggressive time frame.   If you don't want to pay for RedHat
> (RHEL) then you can install CentOS which is compiled from the RHEL
> sources.

Thanks!
I actually have CentOS installed for another application and that is a good
suggestion. I am looking for a short term fix for now and plan on installing
new hardware in the next couple of weeks. BTW this is not an externally
available DNS it is an internal caching DNS but it does contact the root
servers. I am running random transaction id's so it's 1/2 ok but still 1/2
bad.

Thanks.