Regarding Parallel Support

Dmitry Rybin kirgudu at corbina.net
Tue Aug 12 13:51:06 UTC 2008

Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:
>>> bind supports threads which is what you want. Note that your OS has so
>>> support them too.
>
> On 12.08.08 15:23, Dmitry Rybin wrote:
>> Under heavy load bind with threads work unstable: Eat a lot of memory
>> and became very slow.
>
> Maybe there are big timeouts when waiting for memory locks etc? There should
> be one thread per CPU, so all possible CPU power could be used, but I don't
> see any gain in having more threads on one CPU.
>
> Could you describe this problem a bit more?

OK... This is well known bug.

=== named.conf ===
[...]
options {
	max-cache-size 500M;
	};

[...]
named with threads (8 threads, 1 thread per CPU)
Memory Usege grows very quickly. Top memory usage - system limit (2Gb),
and then die (20-30 minutes under heavy load). After 500Mb-600Mb (limit)
named became slow answer to queries, eat cpu time.

named without threads
Memory Usege grows not so quickly. Top memory usage - system limit
(2Gb), and then die (60-240 minutes under heavy load). After 500Mb-600Mb
(limit) named became slow answer to queries, eat cpu time.