9.5.0-P2 and socket: too many open file descriptors

JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉 Jinmei_Tatuya at isc.org
Tue Aug 12 02:55:55 UTC 2008

At Mon, 11 Aug 2008 19:38:57 -0700 (PDT),
Fr34k <freaknetboy at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Running 9.5.0-P2 on Solaris 9 and I continue to get "socket: too many open file descriptors" messages.
> I have tried "ulimit -n foobar" where foobar has been various numerical values and I still get the error.
> Am I just not assigning a large enough foobar?
> Do I have to recompile bind after such an adjustment?
> Should I tweak something else?

Usual question:
- did you build named with a large value of FD_SETSIZE?
- did you specify a reasonably large value for max-cache-size?
- how many sockets were actually opened when you saw this message?

And you may also want to check the OS capability with this tool:
http://www.jinmei.org/selecttest.tgz

---
JINMEI, Tatuya
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.