Re: 9.5.0-P2 under Win XP: warnings about the 'files' limit in Event Log

Jukka Pakkanen jukka.pakkanen at qnet.fi
Sun Aug 10 15:31:35 UTC 2008

Danny Mayer <mayer at gis.net> kirjoitti :

> Jukka Pakkanen wrote:
> > Danny Mayer <mayer at ntp.isc.org>
> kirjoitti :
> >

> >> What is the error that you see? There are several possible errors that
>
> >> you might be seeing.
> >>
> >> Danny
> >
> > When the 9.5.0-P2 crashes (freezes) there's no errors or anything in the
> event viewer. Only message is the above mentioned FD_SETSIZE when restarting the
> service.
> >
> > The named service keeps growing in memory size, and then randomly stops
> responding to anything. At that point the service stops growing as well. But the
> service itself is still active (task manager lists it). We have set our network
> monitor make a dns status query every minute, and if there's no response to
> restart the service.
> >
> > Usually the named crashes few times a day. One of our recursive servers
> crashed 4 hours ago and after restart named was about 28M of size. Now after
> hour hours it's already 126 megs, 2195 handles and 9 threads. And this is not
> very busy server.
> >
> > Another observation, one of our not-so-busy caching-only servers was
> running 9.5.1b1, it run days without crashing, but was eating memory. After 5
> days of running named was using over 2 gigs of RAM and the server was running
> out of memory. Now installed 9.5.0-P2 to this server 4 hours ago, and it has
> crashed 8 times by now... named just stops responding and we need to restart the
> service.
>
> When you look at the number process how many handles and threads do you
> have? You need to add those columns to task manager via the view->select
> columns... menu. They are not there by default.

In this recursive server (2xPIII, W2KSP4, 1G RAM) which crashed 5 hours ago named now has named using 138M of RAM, 2325 handles and 9 threads.

The caching-only server (2xXeon dualcore, W2K3, 4G) where I switched from 9.5.1b1 to 9.5.0-P2 today, just crashed again. After restart the named used 28M RAM, 270 handles and 14 threads. Now after only 5 minutes it is 35 megs, 690 handles and 14 threads and both the memory consumption and handles are growing every cycle.