More cache poisoning fun

Paul Vixie vixie at isc.org
Sun Aug 10 05:42:47 UTC 2008

Lars Hecking <lhecking at users.sourceforge.net> writes:

>  So, what about Polyakov? Is it a threat to the real world, or is it just
>  a matter of DNSSEC or die now?

when folks on slashdot asked that question, i said:

http://tech.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=640993&cid=24537509

while i think it's bad that anybody who can hammer you at GigE speed for
ten hours can poison your cache, it's not a threat to the real world the
way 11 seconds at 10-megabit was.  so while we all do have to do dnssec
and we will all eventually die, those two facts are unrelated.

note that any dns server with a host based firewall can implement a 100%
effective mitigation for the Polyakov attack, and it's possible that an
upstream/outboard firewall could also be made to do it.  in freebsd ipfw
it looks like this:

add     pipe 1  udp     from any 53 to 204.152.188.20 in
pipe 1  config  mask src-ip 0xffffffff buckets 32768 bw 56Kbit/s queue 1

at some point ISC will have to put logic like this into BIND, of course.
but protecting against the Polyakov attack is like synflood protection in
that it's a rate-limit problem.
--
Paul Vixie

believed to be clean.