dnsperf and BIND memory consumption

JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉 Jinmei_Tatuya at isc.org
Thu Aug 7 18:45:22 UTC 2008

At Thu, 7 Aug 2008 01:20:46 -0400,
Vinny Abello <vinny at tellurian.com> wrote:

> One thing I am still confused about is why the performance of BIND
> is slower (when measured with dnsperf) when the test data is for
> authoritative data. I'm still seeing (with threads disabled now) non
> authoritative answers clocking in around 14k queries per second and
> authoritative answers at about 4k queries per second. Again, I tried
> localhost and I just tried the PTR record for
> 1.1.168.192.in-addr.arpa via queryperf. Dig confirms both are
> authoritative answers from my 9.5.0-P2 server (and I know they are
> based on the configuration), yet when doing queries for them I'm
> getting about 1/3 the performance vs. random lookups for non
> authoritative data. If anything I would think that data would be
> faster.

If the test for the recursive case really caused a lot of external
queries and (mostly) succeeded, rather than SERVFAIL or something, and
if I understand the test case, the result is indeed very
counterintuitive.  I can't think of any possible theory that can
explain it.

---
JINMEI, Tatuya
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.