BIND 9 - force secondary to update/refresh from primary

Karl Auer kauer at biplane.com.au
Tue Aug 5 14:12:08 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-08-05 at 16:51 +0300, Sotiris Tsimbonis wrote:
> On 08/05/2008 04:13 PM, atomic at people.net.au wrote:
> > After upgrading the secondary, we want to make sure zone transfer from
> > the primary (BIND 8) still works, so we will be making changes to a test
> > zone in the primary name server (i.e. incrementing the serial number).
> > Instead of waiting for it to happen, is it possible to force the
> > secondary to update/refresh the zone without using rndc?
You shouldn't need to do anything - NOTIFY messages from the primary to
the secondaries should trigger a zone transfer request from the
secondaries.

Try it - change your test zone and see how quickly your secondaries grab
the new zone data. It should be pretty much immediately after you reload
the zone on your primary. Depending on what logging you have set up, you
should see (on the primary) log messages about notifies being sent and
(on the secondaries) log messages about receiving notifies.

If the secondaries you are upgrading are not "official" you can use the
also-notify option on the primary to make sure that all necessary
servers get sent NOTIFY messages.

Regards, K.

Karl Auer (kauer at biplane.com.au)                   +61-2-64957160 (h)

GPG fingerprint: DD23 0DF3 2260 3060 7FEC 5CA8 1AF6 D9E3 CFEE 6B28
Public key at  : random.sks.keyserver.penguin.de