Install BIND 9.5.0-P1 over 8.4.6 (Windows 2000 Server)

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Tue Aug 5 11:33:00 UTC 2008

atomic at people.net.au wrote:
> Danny Mayer wrote:
>> atomic at people.net.au wrote:

>>> When uninstalling 8.4.6 from Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs
>>> (after stopping the named service), it says....
>>>
>>> "An error occurred while trying to remove ISC BIND. It may have
>>> adready been uninstalled. Would you like to remove ISC BIND from the
>>> Add or Remove Programs list?" Yes/No
>>>
>>> If I click Yes, ISC BIND is removed from the list but named service
>>> is still there, if I click No then nothing happens.
>>>
>>> As a result I cannot install 9.5.0-P1 because an existing named
>>> service (8.4.6) is still there. So far the only way to move forward
>>> is to manually delete the service from the Registry:
>>> HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ISC BIND, then reboot. But I
>>> do not want to do this to the product machine. Anyone knows what's
>>> wrong?
>>>
>>> Peter
>>>

>> Yes. Use the Uninstall button on the BINDInstall installer to uninstall.
>>
>> Danny
>
> Thanks Danny, that's it!

I should have been clearer here. You need to use the BIND8 installer to
uninstall the BIND8 service and then use the BIND9 installer to install
the BIND9 binaries. The BIND9 installer is incompatible with BIND8
installer because of changes made to the installation information.

I'm glad it worked for you.

Danny