do I want/need allow-query-cache for local subnet?

Chris Buxton cbuxton at menandmice.com
Mon Aug 4 16:20:09 UTC 2008

Andrew,

Your ACL has a typo. It should say "127/8", not "127.8".

You do not need an allow-query-cache statement in the internal view.
There's almost never a reason to use that statement, actually. And if
the server is on the 192.168.1/24 subnet, then you also do not need an
allow-recursion statement.

You do not need any allow-query statements. The defaults are:

allow-query { any; };
allow-query-cache { localhost; localnets; };
allow-recursion { localhost; localnets; };

However, note that defining one of these may affect the defaults for
others. For example, setting allow-query to be more restrictive than
the defaults for the other two will restrict those two as well.
Setting either allow-recursion or allow-query-cache will usually set
the other to the same value.

Chris Buxton
Professional Services
Men & Mice