Risks of patched servers behind de-randomizing NAT

Jeff Reasoner jeff.reasoner at mail.hccanet.org
Fri Aug 1 17:57:19 UTC 2008

OT, I agree, but certainly relevant to the issue at hand.

I noticed the same thing a couple of weeks ago after I upgraded to
9.4.2-P1. It is absolutely the PIX and will happen with 6.x through 8.x
code.
However, this issue is related to how the code PATs outbound traffic and
can be resolved by setting up a static NAT for the nameserver.

You can do this on the fly by adding (adjusting for actual interface
names):

static (inside,outside) ...

and then

clear xlate local <IP addr>
clear xlate global <IP addr>

At that point the various DNS tests mentioned on the list should report
good results.

Of course, all this assumes you are being routed enough public IP
address space and have a free address to use...