Is godaddy wrong in disallowing using my domain as an NS server for itself?

Matthew Pounsett matt at conundrum.com
Wed Apr 30 15:38:05 UTC 2008

On 30-Apr-2008, at 08:10 , David Filion wrote:

> FWIW, I've dealt with several registrars other than GoDaddy (all in
> North
> America) that required your NS be registered.  I'm not sure if this
> is in an
> RFC somewhere but it seems to be a common practise.

I don't believe registration of host records is required in an RFC
anywhere, but doing so simplifies several things for the registry in
dealing with glue records, so it's a very common practice.   It's
always (as far as I'm aware) something that's specified by the
registry, not the registrar... so in the case of .com, Verisign, not
GoDaddy.

Matt Pounsett