Name based hosts and bind

Bob Hoffman bob at bobhoffman.com
Thu Apr 24 03:48:48 UTC 2008

Okay, I will try to be more diligent.

I have a theoretical website that is ipbased. I add another theoretical
website that uses the same ip number, this is what is called 'name based'.

Two websites, the ip-based www.mysite.com and the name based
www.mysitename.com. They both use the same ip address and in the named.conf
a master is made for each and a zone file is added to the var/named folder.

However, an addr.arpa cannot be made for each since they use the same exact
ip address.

Therefore, the addr.arps file for this ip address will return only one PTR
record.
	IN	PTR	mysite.com

And not mention the other one, mysitename.com

The mention of mx records was perhaps a general term, let me rephrase. Each
of these theoretical websites HAS an MX record because they each have their
OWN mail server. And since mail is sent out from mail.mysitename.com to a
stringent aol, and aol looks up to find my PTR for mysitename.com to match
my ip, they get nysite.com and bounce the mail back.

In other words, although there is a PTR record dealing with the correct ip,
only the domain mysite.com is listed in it, not mysitename.com

Now name based sites are used as a term in virtual hosting, but do have the
added problem of not having an ip to specifically make a addr.arpa file for
that one domain, since there are multiple domains.

If you mean, it does not matter what the site listed in the PTR record is,
and that the ip will resolve correctly anyway to either site (listed or not
in the PTR) that is cool. But it seems kinda weird to just ignore the second
site using the IP in the addr.arpa record.

To further define. Each site in its own zone file will have a IN A
mail.thesite and a MX for mail.thesite. They will not be sharing the same
'mail.mysite.com' but instead have one of their own.