Not at "wits end" but still a bit confused......

Martes G Wigglesworth martes at mgwigglesworth.com
Mon Apr 21 05:20:56 UTC 2008

I am having trouble resolving my authoritative domain(s).  I am still in
the test phase, however, I am a bit stumped.  I have not finished
re-evaluating all aspect of my file(s), however, I wanted to shoot an
email just in case someone sees a problem prior to my finishing my
analysis of the dis-functionality.  I have stopped and restarted named
about five times in the last five hours, and I have seen no difference
in functionality, asside from a brief period of resolution, where I
received no address entry in the "question section." section of the
response. I have been attempting to get my own domain(s) working,
however, I through in example.com just for testing, and nothing other
than root server inquiries from the internet work through my name
server(s). I have listed it below my zone file.

I would appreciate some assistance, because I don't see why the simple
file is not resolving anything.

My zone file, ".../master/example.net" is listed below:

/*********************ZONE*FILE**********************/
cat /etc/namedb/master/example.com
$TTL 86400
$ORIGIN example.com
@     IN     SOA    dns1.example.com.     hostmaster.example.com. (
                    200804182307 ; serial
                    21600      ; refresh after 6 hours
                    3600       ; retry after 1 hour
                    604800     ; expire after 1 week
                    86400 )    ; minimum TTL of 1 day

      IN     NS     dns1.example.com.
      IN     NS     dns2.example.com.

      IN     MX     10     mail.example.com.
      IN     MX     20     mail2.example.com.

             IN     A       192.168.10.5

server1      IN     A       192.168.10.5
server2      IN     A       192.168.10.7
dns1         IN     A       192.168.10.2
dns2         IN     A       192.168.10.3

ftp          IN     CNAME   server1
mail         IN     CNAME   server1
mail2        IN     CNAME   server2
www          IN     CNAME   server2

 nslookup yahoo.com
Server:         127.0.0.1
Address:        127.0.0.1#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:   yahoo.com
Address: 66.94.234.13
Name:   yahoo.com
Address: 216.109.112.135

> nslookup example.com
Server:         127.0.0.1
Address:        127.0.0.1#53

** server can't find example.com: SERVFAIL

> dig example.com

; <<>> DiG 9.3.4-P1 <<>> example.com
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: SERVFAIL, id: 16278
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;example.com.                   IN      A

;; Query time: 1 msec
;; SERVER: 127.0.0.1#53(127.0.0.1)
;; WHEN: Mon Apr 21 01:20:04 2008
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 29