log message severity

Claudio Marotta claudio.marotta at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 17:28:52 UTC 2008

On 15 Apr, 12:25, gagad... at free.fr wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> Why the log messages :
>
> general: info: zone toto.tata.fr/IN: refresh: non-authoritative answer from
> master 10.xx.xx.xx#53 (source 0.0.0.0#0)
>
> is in info severity in BIND 9.4.2 and was in notice in BIND 8.4.7 ?
>
> We used to trap those messages to clean the zones deleted on master servers
> managed by admin that don't inform us for deleted zone.
>
> The problem is that if I configure the logging channel to be in "info" level,
> the log file become very heavy.

If you don't get scary in modifing the source code of bind you could:

- Go into file {source_dir}/lib/dns/zone.c line 4522,
- Substitute "ISC_LOG_INFO" with "ISC_LOG_NOTICE".
- Recompile && Install everything.

In this way you take back the severity of that message to "notice".

> Any help welcome.
>
> Gael.

This is the best thing i can think to solve your problem, but I'm
pretty sure that someone else has a better advise for you ;) .

Regards,
Claudio