Any way to query/determine all domains for which a particular server is authoritative?

Eric B. ebenze at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 4 19:51:40 UTC 2008

> "John Wobus" <jw354 at cornell.edu> wrote in message
> news:67e1657be3fd6ab62878a0458fe129c2 at cornell.edu...
> This is a frequently-asked question.  There's nothing in DNS or BIND to
> provide this information automatically.
> Neither makes the assumption that one particular server is going to be
> a slave
> for all the zones of one particular master.
> As DNS server admin, you control what zones a particular server is
> slave to and
> what server is each zone's master by configuring that information in
> the slave.

Thanks - that's pretty much what I had figured myself, and the searching I
had done had pretty much led me to the same conclusion as well.
For once (and I think this may be the only time), MS might actually have
done something semi-right with their AD-integrated DNS.  In such a
configuration, one only has to make changes, or add domains to a single dns
server, and all AD controllers get their dns tables updated.  But of course,
as per MS's usual way, they've done it without any real standards for anyone
else to follow.

> Or: within DNS, you could craft your own way to expose this information
> in the
> master using a scheme of your own making.  TXT records, for example,
> give you lots of data
> flexibility, and the zone transfer mechanism can also be helpful.
>
> Recently, there was some discussion of efforts to standardize a
> particular version of this latter approach.

That's an interesting idea.  Not entirely sure have safe/secure it is, but
then again, any info in the TXT record would be publicly available info
anyhow.

Will fish around and see if I can find anything in the archives for this.

Thanks again,

Eric