Any way to query/determine all domains for which a particular server is authoritative?

John Wobus jw354 at cornell.edu
Wed Apr 2 22:41:36 UTC 2008

This is a frequently-asked question.  There's nothing in DNS or BIND to
provide this information automatically.
Neither makes the assumption that one particular server is going to be
a slave
for all the zones of one particular master.
As DNS server admin, you control what zones a particular server is
slave to and
what server is each zone's master by configuring that information in
the slave.

But, to do what you want to do:
Extra-DNS, you could have a script that ssh's into the master and
inspects its named.conf.
(if the master were running BIND: Win2K DNS might offer some similar
method)
Or: within DNS, you could craft your own way to expose this information
in the
master using a scheme of your own making.  TXT records, for example,
give you lots of data
flexibility, and the zone transfer mechanism can also be helpful.

Recently, there was some discussion of efforts to standardize a
particular version of this latter approach.