DHCP and DDNS

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Wed Apr 2 00:43:32 UTC 2008

> X O R wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I was trying to setup DHCP server to update connected clients into BIND9. I
> ts working now. The problem is that I have few hosts with static ip address d
> efined using fixed-address option in dhcpd.conf.
> > So my question is how can I make BIND9 add 'fixed-address' hosts to dhcp.le
> ases? Looks like this is the only way to make BIND9 remove addresses from the
>  zones file on DHCPRELEASE.
> >
> Even if you could coax your DHCP subsystem into generating these Dynamic
> Updates, why would you constantly delete and re-add the same
> name/address associations? Seems like you're making your DNS
> infrastructure perform work for little or no benefit.
>
> - Kevin

	Kevin,
	       there are good cases for doing it with laptops that
	you want to have specific addresses when they are connected
	to a particular subnet yet have the DNS reflect there current
	address when they are not on the subnet.  It also provides
	for a single administration point when adding a machine.

	Having the laptop update it's own address is one solution.
	TSIG or SIG(0) can be used to authenticate the update.

	Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews at isc.org