Number of CPUs detected by Bind 9.4.2 on 4 CPU system running RedHat es 4.

greg kuechle greg.kuechle at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 15:08:39 UTC 2008

On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 6:23 AM, Adam Tkac <atkac at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 11:59:10AM -0600, greg kuechle wrote:
> > Hello,
> > I have install bind 9.4.2 on a system with 4 CPUs running RedHat es4. I
> > compiled named with the --enable-threads  and used the -n 4 flag when I
> > start named.
> >
> > Mar 31 10:12:24 ******** named[4897]: starting BIND 9.4.2  -t /opt/named
> > -u named -n 4 -c /etc/named.conf
> > Mar 31 16:12:24 ******** named[4897]: found 1 CPU, using 4 worker
> threads
> >
> > Before I upgraded the system it was running an older version of named
> that
> > comes packaged with the OS.
> > Here is the output from the logfile.
> > Mar 24 11:34:13 ******** named[5877]: starting BIND 9.2.4
> > Mar 24 11:34:13 ******** named[5877]: using 4 CPUs
> >
> > Did I compile named wrong?
> >
> > Will BIND 9.4.2 use all of the CPUs if I use the -n 4 option at startup?
> >
> > It looks like named is only running on one CPU. Will named start using
> the
> > other CPUs once one CPU is up to 100% ?
> >

> > Thank you for any help.
> >

> I think you forgot mount /proc filesystem into chroot. You can try it
> again
> with /proc mounted in chroot (for example $mount --bind /proc
> ${CHROOT}/proc)
>
> Adam
>
> --
> Adam Tkac, Red Hat, Inc.

Thank you Adam,

That did the trick. I mounted /proc in chroot  and restarted  named.
I am still using the -n 4 switch. The log output is:
Apr 1 14:01:58 dnsserver-1 named[31533]: found 4 CPUs, using 4 worker
threads

When I run a ps -ef | grep name I only see one named process running. Is
this correct ?
I thought I would see 4 running.

Greg.