Problems with our migration from MS to BIND this weekend

Chris Cox chris_cox at stercomm.com
Wed Sep 26 20:58:19 UTC 2007

Ryan McCain wrote:
> While doing the change I came across conflicting information on whether underscores are permitted.  We do use Active Directory and many of it's SRV records use underscores.  Is this a problem?
>
> Does anything special need to be done in BIND to get it to work w/ Active Directory?
>
> Thx..

You can change the settings to ignore the "bad" names in your
named.conf.  However,
Microsoft has made the "_"'s a standard (and we rolled over and gave
in, btw).  Also your AD controllers will need the ability to
make updates to the _ zones... you'll need to add those zones to
your bind config and make sure an acl (or whatever) is in
place to allow the AD servers to manage those zones.

.