rndc stats on SLES 10 (BIND 9.3.2)

Ryan McCain Ryan.McCain at dss.state.la.us
Mon Sep 24 15:45:37 UTC 2007

When I ran "rndc stats I used to get an error, now after changing directory permissions around it just goes to a shell prompt.  See below:

dss-dr93la05:/var/lib/named/slave # rndc stats
dss-dr93la05:/var/lib/named/slave #

This is from named.conf:

statistics-file "/var/log/named.stats";
        zone-statistics yes;
        notify no;
#      recursion no;

...As you can see the permissions are set to give everyone 777 to named.stats

dss-dr93la05:/var/log # ll named.stats
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 27020 2007-09-24 10:39 named.stats
dss-dr93la05:/var/log #

..There are stats in the the named.stats file, however for some reason running rndc stats doesn't display them.

One thing Im thinking of that might be confusing BIND is that we initially installed it to run in a chroot jail.  After the fact we changed that in /etc/sysconfig/named to not run in a chroot jail.

Any ideas?

Thanks..