Best way to handle multiple zones

Ryan McCain Ryan.McCain at dss.state.la.us
Thu Sep 20 19:32:07 UTC 2007

One more thing (I hope)..

here's my master/dss.louisiana.gov zone file:

$TTL 3600       ; 1 hour
@               IN SOA  dssns.dss.state.la.us. rmccain.dss.state.la.
us. (
                                2007092003        ; serial
                                1200        ; refresh (20 minutes)
                                600        ; retry (10 minutes)
                                1209600    ; expire (2 weeks)
                                3600       ; minimum (1 hour)
)
                        NS      dssns.dss.state.la.us.
                        NS      dssns2.dss.state.la.us.
;                       A       205.172.49.49
                        MX      10 smtp-ext1
                        MX      20 smtp-ext2
;dssns                  A       199.248.209.34
;dssns2                 A       199.248.209.35
$INCLUDE /var/lib/named/master/shared.zone

---

When I do a DNS report on dnsstuff.com, the only error I get back is:

Your DNS servers leak stealth information in non-NS requests:

Stealth nameservers are leaked [dssns.dss.state.la.us.]!
Stealth nameservers are leaked [dssns2.dss.state.la.us.]!

This can cause some serious problems (especially if there is a TTL discrepancy). If you must have stealth NS records (NS records listed at the authoritative DNS servers, but not the parent DNS servers), you should make sure that your DNS server does not leak the stealth NS records in response to other queries.

---

I'm assuming this is because I am using NS records in the dss.state.la.us domain and not the dss.louisiana.gov domain?  Is this ok?

<43B39549-0FAC-4412-BFE7-A1F5F1B606CD at menandmice.com>, Chris Buxton