Debian vs SuSE

Wed Sep 12 18:13:15 UTC 2007

Hi Bill,

I've done what you've done today many a time (realised what I've done
wrong during the day on the drive home and kicked myself that is!)
As Kevin said, you're not bound to where you put your files.  The
"standard" I've heard advised is configuration files in /etc, run-time
files in /var, and program files in /usr.

Personally I've never stuck to that; mainly from a maintenance
point-of-view - for a single application you have files in at least 3
places, so what I do, is install applications in /usr/local/<app_name>
and have the sub-directories etc and var in there.  Obviously you have
the occasional applications that have to be shared (e.g. MySQL
libraries), to which end I link the library from
/usr/local/<app_name/lib/<library> to /lib/<library> (or use ldconfig if
the system supports it.)

For Bind, I have:

Config files:
/usr/local/bind/etc/named.conf
/usr/local/bind/etc/zones/<zone files>

Run-time files:
/usr/local/bind/var
/usr/local/bind/var/logs

Program files:
/usr/local/bind/bin
/usr/local/bind/sbin

This has the added security benefit that I can chroot Bind into
/usr/local/bind, and it has everything it needs!

Just my 2p.

Andy.