BIND 9.4.1-P1 freezes randomly on FreeBSD 6.1

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Tue Sep 4 23:54:28 UTC 2007

> On Sep 4, 2007, at 2:35 PM, Craig Cocca wrote:

> > Even after following Mark's suggestions above, we are still seeing
> > the exact same problem where named becomes unresponsive to
> > recursive lookups at random intervals.  I'm starting to think that
> > this might be a memory leak in BIND 9.4.1-P1, and I would like to
> > know what kind of debug output would be helpful here to help you
> > (and us) solve this issue and get BIND into a stable operating mode.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Craig Cocca
> >

> Following  up on my earlier post, here are some of the stats of the
> box that we're running BIND 9.4.1-P1 on:
>
> P4-2.8 GHz
> 1 GB memory
> ~500 queries/second
> named runs as a recursive lookup nameserver at 10-15% CPU load in a
> 515 MB footprint.
>
> I would be happy to provide any additional debugging information that
> someone might need to help steer me in the right directions.
>
> Best,
> Craig Cocca

	max-cache-size controls the amount of memory the *cache* uses.
	It does not control all the rest of memory named uses.

	You are *still* running out of memory, increase the systems
	max datatsize from 512MB and/or decrease max-cache-size,
	max-cache-ttl.

	If you increase maxdsiz you will also need to set datasize in
	named.conf or change the default (kern.dfldsiz)

	e.g.
	/boot/loader.conf
	#kern.maxdsiz="1073741824"      # Set the max data size

	/boot/defaults/loader.conf
	#kern.dfldsiz=""		# Set the initial data size limit
	#kern.maxdsiz=""                # Set the max data size

	Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews at isc.org