BIND 9.4.x empty zones

Chris Thompson cet1 at hermes.cam.ac.uk
Wed Oct 31 22:50:18 UTC 2007

I have been looking at the new "built-in empty zone" stuff in 9.4.x
(specific experiments with 9.4.2rc1), partly with a view to getting
our production 9.3.x setup in line so that the transition is not too
traumatic. Comparing them with the "server information" (class CHAOS)
"version.bind" zone and friends is also instructive.

Here is a summary of what I have found so far, with some questions
arising.

1. SOA.mname (and single NS record) has the same name as the zone
    (modifiable for the empty-zones by the "empty-server" option,
    fixed for the server-info zones). Does this actually make sense?
    Maybe it's just harmless.

2. SOA.rname is "." for empty-zones (modifiable by the "empty-contact"
    option) but "hostmaster.[zone-name]" for the server-info zones
    (not modifiable). I actually rather like the idea of "." as
    indicating "there isn't any contact address, get lost", but can
    that be justified from the RFCs?

3. The remaining SOA parameters are fixed at "0 28800 7200 604800 86400"
    for both sorts of zones. I suppose only the negative TTL might be
    something one could conceivably want to modify.

4. Queries against the empty-zones seem always to be allowed, while those
    against the server-info zones respect the "allow-query" setting in
    the "options" statement. This seems to me to be a bug.

5. Zone transfers on either sort of zone seem never to be allowed, but
    exactly what errors one gets and how or whether they depend on the
    "allow-transfer" setting in the "options" statement is currently
    still obscure to me.

One additional issue that occurs to me is whether onew should try and
make one's almost-empty zones "localhost" and "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa"
(traditional here, at least, but maybe one should go with blocking
the whole of "127.in-addr.arpa" in line with 9.4.x) look like the new
empty-zones in respect of SOA & NS contents.

And also, why doesn't the built-in empty-zones list include
"0.in-addr.arpa" and "255.in-addr.arpa" (also traditional here)
or at least enough to cover reverse lookups on IPv4 addresses
0.0.0.0 and 255.255.255.255?

That's enough for now ;-)

--
Chris Thompson