bind is logging with utc timestamp to syslog

Jeremy C. Reed reed at reedmedia.net
Thu Oct 18 13:52:11 UTC 2007

On Thu, 18 Oct 2007, Laurenz, Dirk wrote:

> i found out, that my newly compiled bind (9.4.1) loggs with UTC time to
> the syslog. the rest logs with UTC+2 which is the current local time.
> Why?

See the "print-time" configuration for the logging statement. The ARM
says:

	"If print-time has been turned on, then the date and time will be
	logged. print-time may be specified for a syslog channel, but is
	usually pointless since syslog also logs the date and time."

Some versions of syslogd can log always using its localtime and some
always using UTC (and ignore time stamps in syslog messages). Also I see
in change logs there was a bug with print-time, but I don't know if that
affected any release version or which ones.

  Jeremy C. Reed