New install of 9.4.1-P1 on Windows Server 2003R2 SP2 missing Microsoft.VC80.CRT assembly

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Tue Oct 16 03:34:09 UTC 2007

chinkle wrote:
> Howdy.  I see in the release notes some reminders about shipping the
> VC80 assemblies with the Win32 ports built from MSVS2005, but I don't
> think the reminder worked in this case.  I just installed BIND 9.4.1-
> P1 on a new server, and I can't do the initial configuration with rndc-
> confgen because I get an Event ID 32 error:
> "Dependent Assembly Microsoft.VC80.CRT could not be found and Last
> Error was The referenced assembly is not installed on your system."
>
> I tried downloading and installing the Microsoft .NET Framework (3.0)
> and the VC++ 2005 redistributable, and that didn't change anything.
>
> What am I missing?  The ARM doesn't seem to have any installation
> notes in there for windows.  Is there a HOWTO out there for installing
> BIND 9.4 on a Windows 2003 server?

Did you see the readme1st.txt file that came with the zip? In this case
it won't help you. I dislike this method of distributing the
distributable binaries for VC80 but it's Microsoft's official way.

Check whether or not MSVCR80.DLL was moved to the system32 directory or
is anywhere else on the system. If it's not in system32 copy it to
either the system32 directory or wherever you have the BIND9 binaries.

Danny