6to4 Reverse DNS

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Mon Oct 15 23:35:26 UTC 2007

> On Mon, 2007-10-01 at 20:05 -0700, D. Stussy wrote:
> > Byung-Hee HWANG wrote:
> > > I want to wait for IETF's decision as possible. Actually you gave me
> > > good information, thanks!
> >
> > And the point of waiting is ... what?
> >
> > Even if it were just a test, it works and is still working(*).  Why
> > not use it now?  It's not meant as a permanent solution anyway.
> >
> > * - NRO's implementation of the "test" does have problems:  Of its 4
> > servers, 2 are running, one times out alot, and the fourth seems to be
> > returning "SERVFAIL" for the past year (or longer).
>
> Unfortunately, IPv6 is considered as unstable area by my domain master.
> I cannot reason the my domain master down to do 6to4 Reverse DNS
> Delegation with such unstable draft even though it works well without
> any problems;;

	The draft documents a existing service (that's one reason
	why it will get the Experimental tag).  The service is not
	going to change.  The document has passed dnsops review on
	that basis.

	If there was a clean slate implementation then DNAME rather
	than NS records would be used as they require far less work
	to be done for each address change.  6to4 space is highly
	dynamic and setting up new zones after each address change
	is a pain. That pain goes away when DNAME is used.

	Mark

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews at isc.org