subdomain/split dns question

Kevin Darcy kcd at chrysler.com
Fri Oct 12 17:14:17 UTC 2007

Chris Rizzo wrote:
> The interesting thing about this, is that what you have below will work, if
> I point to a name server that is allowed to do recursion (only my internal
> dns servers are allowed to do recursion against this server). If I point my
> host directly to the server (acting as any Internet based client or dns
> server on the Internet), I get the following...."Served by:" and then a list
> of the name servers authoritative for the subdomain.

Yes, that's how nslookup represents a referral response, what you'd
typically get from a non-recursive nameserver or a nameserver that is
not honoring recursion for you. Iterative resolvers can handle such
doesn't provide recursion. If you have "exception" clients in the
Internet address space that need recursion, you'll need to add their
addresses or address ranges to your "internal" view, have a separate
(third) view, or go back to the drawing board on your design.

                                 - Kevin