glue records

penszo at gmail.com penszo at gmail.com
Mon Oct 8 12:48:15 UTC 2007

Hi,

I have a question regarding glue records.

When I ask a name server which is (hypothetical) responsible
for .space zone:

[first query]
dig @ns.for.space www.somedomain.space A

I get answer like this:

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;www.somedomain.space.                        IN      A

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
somedomain.space.             86400   IN      NS
ns1.somedomain.space.
somedomain.space.             86400   IN      NS
ns2.somedomain.space.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
ns1.somedomain.space.         86400   IN      A       1.2.3.4
ns2.somedomain.space.         86400   IN      A       1.2.3.5

I get name servers for somedomain.space domain with glue records in
ADDITIONAL SECTION.

My question is: As 'ADDITIONAL' section 'Carries RRs which may be
helpful in using the RRs in the other sections' should or must be in
responce from ns.for.space? What will happen if ns.for.space will not
return ADDITIONAL SECTION with glue records? Is this RFC compliant?

Will resolvers handle such responce, quering for A record for
ns1.somedomain.space or ns2.somedomain.space and getting responce like
this:

ns1.somedomain.space.         86400   IN      A       1.2.3.4

and then quering ns1.somedomain.space for A record for www.somedomain.space?

Does it matter that A record for ns1.somedomain.space is returning in
ADDITIONAL or ANSWER SECTION?