Failed Install BIND 9.4.1-P1 on Windows 2003 X64

Danny Mayer mayer at ntp.isc.org
Mon Oct 8 03:56:31 UTC 2007

Brown, Jamel A Mr CG USA FORSCOM wrote:
> I am running Windows 2003 X64 Server. When I install BIND 9.4.1-P1
> It never creates the DNS directory or copies any of the files into
> the directory. When I try to start the service I always get the
> errors listed below. My named.conf is present in the right
> directory. As far as the setup program it says that it was a
> successful install. I also tried to install it different ways, a
> couple of times as a regular user per you readme1st file and a
> couple of times as a administrator. I also tried by coping every file
> from the BIND9.4.1-P1 directory into C:\WINDOWS\system32\dns\bin
> but still no luck.

Is this a domain controller? There is an issue when installing on a
domain controller since the user id being created MUST be an account of
the domain rather than the local machine. That would cause it to fail to
 install. Did you get any error messages during the install?

> The description for Event ID ( 1 ) in Source ( named ) cannot be
> found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry
> information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote
> computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve
> this description; see Help and Support for details. The following
> information is part of the event: none:0: open:
> C:\WINDOWS\system32\dns\etc\named.conf: file not found.

It's looking for a named.conf file in that directory. Is it there? Also
copy the bindevt.dll to c:\Windows\system32. You are getting all of this
extra wording because of that. The event viewer needs the dll to
interpret the error message and needs it in the system directory.

Make sure that the service exists using the Management console for services.

Danny