class-C designation

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Sat Oct 6 02:02:10 UTC 2007

In article <fe6pau$2k97$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 Jim Pazarena <bind at ccstores.com> wrote:

> I have just been assigned a /23 network.
> I am used to /24 and referring to it as a "class-C".
> Is there a name which may refer to a /23 network? Or must I simply
> refer to it a "two back-to-back class-C's" ?

In the days when address classes were relevant, these were called
"supernets".  Now I'd just call it a "slash 23".

> Second question. In a /23, is it permissible for me to use the inner .255/.0
> numbers?

Yes.

> The telco told me I could not use them, but it doesn't make sense if indeed
> they
> have routed me a /23.

True.

However, it's possible you may run into some TCP/IP implementations that
assume that all .255 and .0 addresses are special, and will have trouble
dealing with them.

What does any of this have to do with DNS and BIND?  Questions like this
belong in comp.protocols.tcp-ip.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA