REFUSED but no log entry

Kenneth Porter shiva.blacklist at sewingwitch.com
Tue Oct 2 22:43:46 UTC 2007

I'm running bind-9.3.3 on CentOS5 and trying to figure out why I can't
transfer my zone to an outside slave. All queries seem to be met with a
REFUSED response, but I see nothing reported in *any* of the log
categories (most running at debug level, some at info), nor do I see
anything in /var/log/messages. Where should I be looking for diagnostic
info to track this down?

I suspect it might be a view permission issue. I have 3 views configured
per CentOS5 "standard", like this:

view "localhost_resolver"
{
        match-clients           { localhost; };
        match-destinations      { localhost; };
};
view "internal"
{
        match-clients           { localnets; };
        match-destinations      { localnets; };
};
view    "external"
{
        match-clients           { !localnets; !localhost; };
        match-destinations      { !localnets; !localhost; };
};

The zone is defined in all 3 views. I'm getting refused from 2 external
clients on different networks.

[ken at newred tmp]$ dig microprecisionautomation.com @69.17.55.102

; <<>> DiG 9.2.3 <<>> microprecisionautomation.com @69.17.55.102
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: REFUSED, id: 20075
;; flags: qr rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;microprecisionautomation.com.  IN      A

;; Query time: 27 msec
;; SERVER: 69.17.55.102#53(69.17.55.102)
;; WHEN: Tue Oct  2 15:26:50 2007
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 46