Using a Fake Parent domain to simplify delegations from ARIN?

Chris Buxton cbuxton at menandmice.com
Wed Oct 3 22:42:51 UTC 2007

Yes, this is bad practice, because it has been known to poison the
cache of resolving name servers. Also, depending on your resolving
architecture, you might find yourself having trouble looking up PTR
records in the parts of this reverse zone that you don't own.

Furthermore, it won't work as you intend. When a resolver follows the
delegation from ARIN for a /24, it's expecting either an answer or a
delegation further down the namespace tree. The redelegation of the /
24 that you're talking about will be seen as a lame delegation and
rejected.

A better solution would be to have your central name servers act as
slaves for these zones. This allows the local admins to continue to
control the zone, yet have all the delegations from ARIN point to
your central servers.

An even better solution would be to implement a management system
that lets those departmental managers have limited access rights to
your central servers, allowing them to administer just their own
zones. This way, you could get rid of the departmental authoritative
name servers and truly consolidate everything to your centralized
servers. My company makes such software, and there are competing
solutions available as well.

Chris Buxton
Men & Mice