How do you guys keep your zones up to date?

Chris Cox chris_cox at stercomm.com
Mon Oct 1 05:16:07 UTC 2007

Ryan McCain wrote:
> Sorry to be a dead horse but just curious how you guys update your zones?
>
> 1) A tool such as Men & Mice
> 2) good ole vi
> 3) customer scrips
> 4) other

I run my zones dynamically now.  We have a script we use.

Examples:
ndns add a newhost 192.168.1.4
ndns add cname myhost newhost.mydomain.com
ndns del a newhost 192.168.1.4
ndns del cname myhost newhost.mydomain.com
etc..

Our script handles ptr records automatically, though you
can prevent that behavior, and you can get an interactive
view into what it is going to do before it does it.  We
have also added IPv6 functionality at least for A records.

Tool was designed to make it web embeddable, though we
don't use it that way today.  However we do have
our DNS entries available through our intranet for folks
that like to browse through entries using a web browser.

For initial zone db creation we have a couple of scripts
that generate the named.conf (both master and slave) and
the empty zone files into a staging area.