How to forward specific zones?

Kevin Darcy kcd at chrysler.com
Thu Nov 29 01:59:15 UTC 2007

Cruise X Overide wrote:
> I've done a lot of reading on the internet on BIND as well as tried to
> seek help on IRC. But I just can't seem to find the config that will let
> me forward zone requests.
>
> Here is a link to the overview of the network in question
>

> PC #1 - ISP
> --------------
>
>> Internet gateway
>> DHCP server
>> Local (as in 10km away, very fast) internet DNS server
>>

> PC #2 - Remote Private network
> ---------------------------------------
>
>> DNS for *.private.net
>> 10.0.0.0/8bit
>> vpn server
>>

> PC #3 - My PC
> ----------------------
>
>> Currently just running bind as a caching nameserver (default fedora
>>
> config)
>
>> VPN client of PC #2
>> tun0 (vpn) 10.0.0.0/8bit
>> eth0 currently receives dhcp (public ip) address from PC #1
>> eth1 connected to internal lan 192.168.0.0/24bit
>>

> How do I get PC #3 to:
> 1. Send only *.private.net requests to PC #2
> 2. Send any other request to PC #1
> 3. Act as a DNS server for other PCs connected to eth1
>

> If anyone could even point me to the topic i need to search for to do
> this I would be grateful. All i could find on the net is how to host a
> DNS server, but not how to forward specific zone requests from your dns
> server to another dns server.
>
> Thanks, any help is much appreciated

Set global forwarding to PC #1 in the options block, then "override"
that selectively by defining private.net as a slave/stub/forward zone,
using PC #2 as its forwarder or "master". If you define it as slave or
stub, and you *don't* want PC #1 handling queries for names in
descendant zones, e.g. *.blah.private.net, *.foo.bar.private.net, etc.,
then you'll need to define "forwarders { };" in the private.net zone
statement, to inhibit forwarding for that whole part of the hierarchy.

                              - Kevin