Recursive Domain Query on Restricted Recursive DNS

Nicolas Pence npence at dedicado.com
Wed Nov 28 11:54:38 UTC 2007

>Is this a working configuration? allow-query-cache doesn't exist in 9.3.2.

The configuration is working, if I don´t put the line "allow-query-cache"
the following happens:

> allow-query { mynet; };
Block unauthorized new-queries, but queries to records in cache
are successful.

> allow-query-cache { mynet; };
Block unauthorized new-queries to records already in my cache.

I've made some test and if an authorized user queries a domain "example.com"
the unathorized users can make queries without problems.
If this domain "example.com" is not in the cache then the unauthorized
user can't get the info.

>I think this is doable if you drop the global "allow-recursion"
>restriction (which at the global level is extraneous anyway because of the global allow-query), and then define the zones of interest as >"type stub" with "allow-query" opened up.

Ok is true, I should remove allow-recursion, is limited by allow-query & allow-query-cache

I read about stub zones and there is the need of a "already known"
(that if I understand how stub works)

zone "subdom.example.com" {
	type stub;
	file "slaves/"subdom.example.com.zone";
	masters { ip1; ip2; };
};

so I don´t really have masters servers, but if the info is
on cache can't just query this domain locally and allow anybody to do it?

thanks