odd behaviour: BIND 9.3.3rc2

Ralph Young ralph at f7.net
Mon Nov 26 18:55:42 UTC 2007

Not sure if this one was ever resolved, but I'm seeing similar problems with
Bind 9.4.1p.  From limited testing it appears the problem is related to the
query-source port option.  Sometimes hosts will be configured to filter
packets that have a source port below 1024, it appears in this case the
query is never making it up to the nameserver when the query-source port is
53, therefore no response.  When I comment out the query-source port option,
it works fine.
Unfortunately the query-source port option is necessary to get through the
firewall.  Am I understanding this correctly ?  - assuming the only way
around it is to configure another nameserver without this query-source port
option ?