bind crash with max-cache-size

Alan Clegg Alan_Clegg at isc.org
Sat Nov 24 00:22:07 UTC 2007

David Ulrich wrote:
> Which problem is known? The performance issue during cleaning or the
> max-cache-size crash? :)
> I upgrade now to 9.3.4-P1. Is the 9.4.3-P1 better? Is their new
> problems on this version?
> We have about 20'000 computers on our 3 dns servers....

[originally sent to both bind-users and David, but due to subscription
and header conflicts, this one bounced -- here it comes again to
bind-users only]

David,

The changes in cache management between 9.3.4-P1 and 9.4.1-P1 are not
the issue, 9.5 will contain "the fix"..

I'd recommend that until you are able to test 9.5 (alpha versions are
currently available) that you reduce your max-cache-size to around
128MB.  I realize that this seems to be wasteful of resources, but you
will see a major improvement in cache cleaning behavior with the smaller
cache.

If possible, Give that a try and let me know what you find.

If you are able to try the 9.5a7, you may find that some of the new
cache management code will resolve this issue for you without the need
to reduce cache size.

Thanks,
AlanC