unable to get a nslookup on windows client

Niall O'Reilly Niall.oReilly at ucd.ie
Wed Nov 21 11:56:03 UTC 2007

On 20 Nov 2007, at 22:08, Kevin Darcy wrote:

> Short version (not that I'm famous for being terse): nslookup sucks.

	Yes, but ...

	When I try to explain this, my colleagues who live mainly (or even
	exclusively) in the MS Windows environment tell me, "nslookup is
	all there is".  Installing BIND, just to have dig on their machines,
	seems to have too high a (perceived) cost.

	Maybe there's an easy path for those who don't have the luxury of
	working in an environment where dig is just part of the furniture.
	I don't know, because I have that luxury.  If there is, I'ld like
	to be made aware of it, so that instead of projecting the image of
	an "I-know-better dig snob", I can give practical advice to people
	stuck with nslookup.

	Pointers welcome; thanks in advance.

	Best regards,

	Niall O'Reilly
	University College Dublin IT Services

	PGP key ID: AE995ED9 (see www.pgp.net)
	Fingerprint: 23DC C6DE 8874 2432 2BE0 3905 7987 E48D AE99 5ED9