NSEC3 support for BIND

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Sat Nov 10 15:24:50 UTC 2007

On Fri, Nov 09, 2007 at 08:16:43AM +0100,
 Måns Nilsson <mansaxel at kthnoc.net> wrote
 a message of 23 lines which said:

> Zone enumeration is normally not a problem. If you experience
> performance issues from zone walkers (not likely) set up a sacrifice
> server (whose name/address is not in the relevant NS RRSET), which
> allows the world AXFR, or, more manual work, set up a ftp server
> where registered users can get the zone OOB. Problem solved.

*Technical* problem solved. But zone enumeration may be a problem, but
not a technical one (for instance, a policy one; I say "policy" and
not "security" because, as Mark reminded, "security" is way too
overloaded).

My problem is rather to keep policies in synch. If a domain allows
AXFR, it makes sense to allow enumeration through NSEC. If it does not
allow AXFR, it is foolish to deploy NSEC, because it would contradict
the policy.