NSEC3 support for BIND

Paweł Tobiś ptobis at interia.pl
Thu Nov 8 13:04:25 UTC 2007

>> Thus I'd like to ask if anybody is aware of an existing implementation
>> of this standard in BIND (can be a patch or a package)?
>> And are there plans to include an NSEC3 support into official BIND
>> release in the near future?
>>

> 	NSEC3 is *NOT* a standard.  It is still a internet-draft.
> 	The relevent draft is in ietf last call.

I didn't mean NSEC3 to be an official standard (yet), but a protocol
that evolved to quite coherent form. Maybe I should use another word.

> 	B.T.W. what are your reasons for requiring NSEC3 over NSEC?

The reason is that NSEC3 is told to solve the zone enumeration problems.
I'd like to estimate the costs of this improvement in the context of
performance.
I'm expecting this functionality in BIND since I have read the
presentation of Mr. Joao Damas entitled "Evolucao recente do BIND", in
which he mentioned that implementation of NSEC3 will be in version 9.5.

Pawel Tobis