help with bind

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Tue Nov 6 13:17:09 UTC 2007

As mentioned already, this has nothing to do with BIND. There are
basic Unix questions and you should spend some time learning Unix
system administration first.

On Tue, Nov 06, 2007 at 04:47:07PM +0530,
 Agnello George <agnello.dsouza at gmail.com> wrote
 a message of 35 lines which said:

> I have decide to install the bind package from source. I have untared the
> bind package ( bind-9.4.1-P1)  in  /usr/local/src/  then ran the following
> command
> ./configure  ----with-dlz-mysql
> make
> make install
> a directory called include get created in /usr/local/include , what i cant
> understand is where is the namd.conf file located .

What about reading the documentation? The README file contains:

        You may specify the option "--sysconfdir" to set the directory
        where configuration files like "named.conf" go by default,
        and "--localstatedir" to set the default parent directory
        of "run/named.pid".   For backwards compatibility with BIND 8,
        --sysconfdir defaults to "/etc" and --localstatedir defaults to
        "/var" if no --prefix option is given.  If there is a --prefix
        option, sysconfdir defaults to "$prefix/etc" and localstatedir
        defaults to "$prefix/var".

> [ John 3:16 - For God so Loved the world that He gave His only
> begotten son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but
> have ever lasting life.]

I would prefer the ability to write bug-free code. Although ever
lasting life may be a more realistic goal.