multi CPU system 100% CPU useage

David Friend david at gibdesign.com
Fri May 25 19:35:02 UTC 2007

Hi

I am having a problem with bind 9.4.1 on one of our new machines. The
machine has 2 quad core processors and is running Windows 2003 R2. Bind sees
the CPUs when starting and logs "found 8 CPUs, using 8 worker threads".
About an hour after starting named.exe consumes all available CPU.

I have done some RTFM and STFW and with a bit of testing I found that if I
start bind either at the command line with the -n1 or by adding -n1 to the
"Start Parameters" in the service manager it logs "found 8 CPUs, using 1
worker threads" and while running like this never has a problem.

However if I change the "Path to Executable" in the service manager to
include the CPU parameter, like "C:\WINDOWS\system32\dns\bin\named.exe -n1",
it is ignored and bind starts 8 worker threads and goes on to eat my
processors about an hour later. In fact further testing has shown I can add
anything at all after named.exe and it has no effect whatsoever.

Does anyone know a way to make bind run as a service in Windows and use only
one CPU?

Regards
David Friend
www.gibdesign.com