Resolv local network names [Newbie question]

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu May 10 00:16:30 UTC 2007

Rafael Dewes wrote:
> Hi friends,
>
> I'm using BIND 9.3 as cache only server, it works fine to resolve
> internet names, but now I need to resolve the LAN names, for example:
> I have the machine 192.168.0.18 with the name
> flamingo.mydomain.com.br. Can I setup it without configure a master or
> slave server?

Well _somebody_ has to be master for the data, it's theoretically
possible that you could get your ISP or someone you know on the Internet
to serve as master, and then just forward to them, but since 192.168/16
is a private range, it's likely that other folks are already using it
for their own purposes, or they want to reserve the option of doing so.

Besides, do you really want to have to co-ordinate every little internal
DNS change with an outside entity? Take control of your own destiny.
It's not that hard to set up a master zone. Just go ahead and do it.
There are even tools, e.g. "h2n", which can help you migrate your
current /etc/hosts file (if that's what you're currently using) to one
or more DNS master zones.

                              - Kevin