Can DNAME records be deployed in the wild?

Chris Thompson cet1 at hermes.cam.ac.uk
Wed May 2 15:46:53 UTC 2007

Is anyone trying to deploy DNAME records in the wild yet? There are
various situations in which they might be useful to us if they
worked. (None of these to do with IPv6, incidentally: it's a great
pity that DNAME got tangled up in the A6/binary-labels saga.)

Some specific questions I have in mind are

 1. Which nameserver software, other than BIND 9, understands
    DNAME in zones for which it is authoritative well enough
    to do CNAME synthesis? (In particular, which Windows DNS
    Server versions, if any, can cope?)

 2. Are there stub resolvers around that cannot cope with the
    answers that BIND 9 gives, in which the DNAME record precedes
    the synthesised CNAME record?

But I expect there are plenty of other gotchas I haven't thought
of yet.

--
Chris Thompson
Email: cet1 at cam.ac.uk